Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Why Not a Writing Stamina Chart?


I have been dappling in the The Daily Five management system for about four years now and love the tools The Sisters offer in their book. This year I am doing the Daily Five much more closely matched to the routines of the book and really enjoy the results. I began the year with Read to Self, one of the Daily Five activities for literacy. I wasn't sure how to start but had noticed an idea on a blog (somewhere, can't remember now) on making a neat stamina chart that showed a stair step kind of visual that leads to your goal. It worked great and within two weeks my 4, 5 and 6 year old students were reading (pictures, words or storytelling quietly) for ten minutes without a break. It was amazing, and I must confess, this was something I didn't really think they could do, but I wasn't really doing it all quite right before. So, I had become frustrated with the volume control and focus of my students during Writers Workshop. Well, it finally dawned on me, they need to build stamina here too! So, the last two days I have been re-building their stamina for drawing. We just have two behaviors listed on the chart and one goal--to be better writers that can write/draw for ten minutes without a break. We did five minutes today without an interruption! I love it when a plan comes together. Here is the chart I made with my students. When we reach our ten minutes goal we will make a chart that lists what we can do during writers workshop to remain on the wall as a reminder. But, for now, this will get us on track for a good re-start! (It all goes along with my reprogramming program :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like your idea of the goal setting chart. However, I noticed a common grammatical mistake made by many...the word "writer's" should not have an apostrophe when used in the plural form.

Betsy Hubbard said...

Gack! You are right, there are plenty of times writers is only meant to be plural, not possessive. I appreciate you drawing my attention to this. (Gotta love editing and updating).
Thanks

H-Thor said...

A healthy and nutritious diet can help you increase libido. A good diet should include foods that are good for the heart and circulatory system. It should also exclude foods that lower libido, such as sugar. In addition, you should avoid caffeine, alcohol, and processed foods. Steak is a great source of vitamin B, iron, and zinc, which are essential to both men and women. The protein in steak is beneficial to both men and women.Original H Thor Herbal Booster | Timing Size Enhancer