Thursday, October 31, 2013

Chalk-A-Bration October 2013

Are you new to Chalk-A-Bration? 

Here is some background:
Chalk-A-Bration began back in March of 2012 when my husband and I were chalking on our driveway with our children. He began writing song lyrics and I began to think that a poem in chalk would be neat. I decided to do a Slice of Life in chalk for my SOLSC and the response got me thinking further. What if others wanted to chalk a poem? My husband pushed me to start the celebration and Chalk-A-Bration was born.

I chalk with my students now and the excitement they have at the end of the month is always a delight. They love to illustrate and write poetry in chalk. I hope you will join and bring your students along for the ride as well.

Here is my chalk poem for the month:


With a tinge of green
an atomic clock
ticks, as colors stalk
they spread
like red fire
emblazoned
embellished
encapsulated color. 


My daughter joined me in the driveway this week too. She was inspired by trees we drove past when going on a "color drive" this past weekend. It seems they inspired both of us.
 I hope you will come back to see all the celebrations students and grown-ups create. In the meantime you need to go out and chalk, take a photo and link up! Remember, we aren't picky here at Teaching Young Writers, link up today, tomorrow any time in the near future and be sure to check out the other chalkers! Come back at the end of each month to share in the celebration of poetry and chalk.

AND THE CHALKERS ARE...

Margaret Simon from Reflections on the Teche shares her students spooky collection of chalk poetry.

Linda Baie from Teacherdance has a goulishly frightful poem using a chalk app! 

Robin from Teaching Tomorrow's Leaders is in with her students chalk illustrations. Even though it was raining they broke out the chalk.

Miss Scott and her students from First Grade Learners and Wonderers are in with a poem about What Halloween Is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read your poem, I could see the trees. We have little color here in the deep south. Love your daughter's flames! My students wrote spooky poems this week to join the chalkabration. This has become a favorite activity! http://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/spooky-chalkabration/

Linda B said...

I like the idea of that atomic clock, Betsy, & trees being flames. What a great day to chalk-a-brate! Happy Halloween! http://www.teacherdance.org/2013/10/chalk-bration-halloween-style.html

Robin said...

I love your work and your daughter's work! Awesome!

http://teachingtomorrowsleaders.blogspot.com/2013/10/october-chalk-bration_31.html

Lauren said...

Hi Betsy,
I am so sorry this is late, but I am just getting this posted today. Here is the link to our chalk-a-bration this month.

Thanks,
Lauren

http://missscott13.weebly.com/our-class-blog.html

Cathy said...

Your last poem describes the trees where I live perfectly.

Cathy