Friday, January 31, 2014

Chalk-A-Bration January 2014

Welcome to the first Chalk-A-Bration of the year!

I had the pleasure of spending time in four different classrooms this week chalking poems. Yeah! How lucky am I? I visited, read poetry and assisted students in writing collaborative poems together in a unique activity. Here is the breakdown of my visits:

With each group I began by reading poetry appropriate to their grade level. 

Then students wrote in a small group, a pair or independently, a line of poetry about themselves. 

I wrote a title to their poem and students taped their lines to the title. 

When we had a finished product, students shared or I shared the poem with the rest of the class.

Here are some samples of the finished poems we created!

Kindergarten--A Classroom Collaboration. 


First Grade--A Classroom Collaboration.

Second Grade--Small Group Collaborations




Fourth Grade--Small Group Collaborations



Be sure to check out the chalkers in the comments below! I have blog posts here, there and everywhere today so I may not get back to round them up. Give those classrooms and chalkers some comment love by visiting their link. 

5 comments:

Margaret Simon said...

You've been busy chalking poems all over town! We had so much fun playing in the left-over ice and writing icy poems. http://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/wintery-chalkabration/

Linda B said...

You have been busy chalking, Betsy! Nice idea about the lines! Here's mine! Thanks for doing so much! http://www.teacherdance.org/2014/01/winter-chalking.html

Stacey said...

The work you're doing with students of all ages is incredible! I'm inspired!

I'm in with a poem about today's weather, which feels downright balmy!
http://raisealithuman.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/chalk2/

Robin said...

I love this idea from top to bottom Betsy! You took your chalk and love of poetry and ran with it...all over the school! My students so enjoyed their time with you and you inspired my chalk poem today as well. Oh, and I may or may not have also written about your visit. :)

http://teachingtomorrowsleaders.blogspot.com/2014/01/january-chalk-bration-and-poem-love.html

Mary Lee said...

Change the World -- One Chalky Poem at a Time, by Betsy H. -- a best-seller!