Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Progress...Moving Across a Continuum

Though I tend to feel overwhelmed by the amount of work that comes from teaching young writers, I am encouraged by the progress I have made so far this year.  I have monitored student progress using my expectation checklist and next step chart.  I have already begun publishing student work and half of my students have completed their first book.  Book boxes are in full swing and ready to house the newly published work. 
The kids tried out "'Work on Writing," today and we were able to accomplish independent writing, small group writing, writing choices, and publishing all happening simultaneously.  It was a breath of fresh air and I hope things continue to go in this direction as I felt I was able to make actual suggestions to learners today and carry out some effective conferences.  Our work on writing chart is complete and students demonstrated some clear understanding with a need for more practice to gain some stamina, but overall, good progress. 
I now just wish I had more support to give to my struggling learners who need so much encouragement and guidance.  It is so heartbreaking to run out of time or steam on their part, noticing the need for a break in the action of writing when you know you really just need 5 more minutes.  I hope to begin to dig a little deeper into the students understanding.  I am excited to break into "the beginning writer continuum" I wrote about back in August.  There are a few students I feel this will really assist in developing a plan and hopefully get my teaching very specific to their need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to watch all of those things fall into place, isn't it? Kudos to you.
-Stacey

Betsy Hubbard said...

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. Things will fall in and out of place as the year goes. It is nice to observe.