Monday, August 1, 2011

Outliers...Have you read it?


If you have read the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell I would love to hear a comment from you. I am only through the first 30 pages and already I am struggling with the many ways we are creating outliers in education. What are your thoughts? 



If you haven't read the book I have included a few small sections that really spoke to me so far to peek your interest.


This quote, from the introduction, is in reference to two medical researchers studying a small village of people who were much healthier than others in surrounding communities.
"They had to appreciate the idea that the values of the world we inhabit and the people we surround ourselves with have a profound effect on who we are, (pages 10-11)."

I liked this quote that followed a short description of a tall oak tree in a forest.
"We all know that successful people come from hardy seeds. But do we know enough about the sunlight that warmed them, the soil in which they put down the roots, and the rabbits and lumberjacks they were lucky enough to avoid, (page 20)?"

This one really got me:
"We are too much in awe of those who succeed and far too dismissive of those who fail, (page 32-33).

No comments: