Sunday, April 15, 2012

Books That Are Speaking To Me!

I am sure I won't be the only one featuring these books on a blog this week, but I couldn't help myself. They are so beautiful and meant to be shared!

Last week several people were buzzing about Laura Purdie Salas and I have a better understanding why after getting two of her books in my hands!
Take a journey on a leaf and all it can be. Wow, this book is so beautiful it hurts a little; the good kind of course. The vocabulary and information that comes out of this brilliantly simple text will definitely get you ooing and aahing out loud! I can't wait to read it to my class this week. I made my husband and children listen to me read it before we could get out of the car at the grocery store Saturday. Yeah, it's that "feel good!"

Last week Book Speak was a featured book on Robyn Hood Black's blog along with a great interview. Laura can also be seen reading a poem from Book Speak at Katie Davis' blog or of course just check her out on her own blog here! One of my favorites from the book, (I had to read this one out loud in the car too after I said, "oooh" and my family was intrigued):


If a Tree Falls
Laura Purdie Salas

If a tree falls in the forest
with no ear to hear its fall, 
does it make a crackling thunder 
or descend in silent sprawl?


If a book remains unopened
and no reader turns its page,
does it still embrace a story 
or trap words inside a cage?


And finally, a bit of humor to add to my pile of books to share with students this week.
C.R. Mudgeon by Leslie Muir
A heartwarming story of a persnickety hedgehog who learns to be a little more tolerant of others and whose kindness shines through by the end of the story.
In my kindergarten world we are at that point in the year where students begin to get a little tired of each other. Less tolerant. Less kind. I think this book will be a nice reminder that we do truly care for each other and how much we all appreciate acts of kindness.


Before I go, I am celebrating many things this month! Student writing later this week, this post is my 100th post on my blog (Yahoo!!) and I am celebrating poetry with chalk on April 30th. Join in the fun and learn more here! Happy April!

8 comments:

Stacey (@libraryjo92) said...

I really liked Bookspeak. I got it just in time for Poetry Month. I also really enjoyed C.R. Mudgeon. I liked the message that it gave.

Jen Vincent said...

Congrats on your 100th post! That's great! I love BookSpeak! I just got it last week after reading and loving it from the library. I love the colors but the poems are amazing as well. Any book lover would enjoy them. I have CR Mudgeon to read...but I have to find it. It's avoiding me at the moment. I know it's in one of my book bags but I haven't found it yet. Will hopefully get to it today. Thanks for sharing!

Your chalk activity looks like fun! Have you read the book Chalk by Bill Thompson??? It's so great! It would be great to read on the 30th.

Linda B said...

Congratulations on your 100th post, Betsy! That means lots of thinking and work, & I hope enjoyment too! I love all these books. Laura is amazing in her clever wording in both books. And C.R. Mudgeon is delightful. Hedgehogs abound in books lately, & they are so cute!

Teacher said...

I have seen C.R. Mudgeon by Leslie Muir mentioned a few times in book discussion lately. It's awesome to use that book as a reminder to the youngest students to be a little more kind to each other. What a smart lesson and a good read!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Laura's books are such a treat...especially "Bookspeak", which really spoke to the book lover in me. I'll have to check the other one out.

Ruth Ayres said...

Congrats on your 100th post! Woo-hoo! :)

I'm a big fan of BOOK SPEAK too.

Ruth

Robin said...

Happy 100th post Betsy! I like the sounds of these books...looks like a trip to the library is in order for me soon!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Such greta covers! Happy 100th!!!!